Thursday, August 7, 2008

Accelerated?

I'm taking some online classes right now to finish off my teaching credential. Here's the deal: I have a preliminary teaching credential that expires after 5 years. When you want to renew it for the first time, you have to jump through some hoops for the state. The hoops include having 30 post-bac units, a current first aid certificate, 2 years of BTSA completed, and take a computer, health, and special education classes. I took a computer class during my Master's so that's done but now I'm doing the health and special education classes online before school starts.

Both of the classes are accelerated so I earn 2 credits in two weeks and 3 credits in three weeks. Sounds awesome but there are papers due every other day because they didn't cut down the number of assignments for the accelerated classes...they just smashed them all together in a smaller amount of time. I've been writing 8 papers a week as well as doing online discussion assignments. Thankfully, I am almost done with one class and have only one week left on the other.

Here's what's funny to me though--the classes are accelerated for the students but apparently not the teachers. We have to bust our butts to turn in 4-5 papers a week but the teachers still have 7 days to do the grading. If we're writing papers on a daily basis, I think it's only fair that the teachers keep up. After all, I am left to do the rest of the assignments without any feedback from the teacher. Am I on the right track? Am I following APA standards correctly? It's always nice to see how teacher's grade to write assignments to that meet their quirks. Why don't they have to keep up with us?

No comments: