Sunday, October 26, 2008

TLC Shows

One of my guilty pleasures is watching The Learning Channel. They have such strange shows on there but I mainly watch it to watch the shows about the enormous families. There's a show called "17 Children and Counting" about a family of extremely right-wing conservative Christians who live in Arkansas who have 17 kids (and one more on the way). They live in a massive house that they built and spend over $2,000 in groceries every two weeks.

All of the kids have names that start with J (more than likely because Jesus' name starts with a J, shame that it starts with an E when translated into Hebrew...someone should have told them that). Their kids have names like: Josh, Jana, John David (that's a cheat--you know they just wanted to name him David), Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Johannah (another cheat), Joy Anna (cheat!!), Jennifer (there's a good one), James, Jackson, Justin, etc. All of the kids are homeschooled (I don't know how the mom does it since there's such an age range) and don't watch TV or use the internet. All of the girls wear dresses and everyone dresses very conservatively.

I think I find them so fascinating because they're so strange to me. Their kids aren't exposed to anything in the "normal" world and I just have to wonder what's going to happen to them once they aren't so sheltered. The parents don't believe in birth control so they're continually having kids and all of the older kids have a little kid to take care of. That's kinda sad to me. If you're going to have kids, YOU should be the parent...not another one of your kids.

Anyone else watch these shows though? Kinda embarassing to admit but that's why it's a guilty pleasure right?

1 comment:

CCR said...

I think I'm going to have to check that show out. I watch Jon & Kate Plus 8, but that's it on TLC. I need to see these 17 children.