Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fires

To be honest, it's not that suprising to me that California is having such horrible fires right now. We haven't had much rain at all this year (including last winter) and the dry conditions were met with Santa Ana (aka HOT) winds this weekend. I never trust weather people because they only seem to report the weather accurately on the 10 pm news (when they're discussing what the weather was like that day) but when they say the words "fire danger" they are actually right!

Sadly, California is just being ravaged by fires from Santa Barbara County, LA County, and down to Orange County. So many people have lost their homes or are currently evacuated because of the threat to their homes. I watched the fire reports all day yesterday and was sad to see the fire burning at my high school. Since my high school is surrounded by hills and brush the surrounding hills caught fire. Thankfully, the firefighters were able to protect the structure of the school but some storage units in the parking lot burned. School is closed tomorrow because of the mess left by the fires. However, not all were so lucky. The continuation school located just down the hill from my high school actually lost some buildings to the fire and those students will have to be relocated. A couple who attends my church lost their home in Anaheim Hills and others from my church were evacuated.

Thankfully there haven't been many fatalities as a result of the fire and my heart goes out to those people who are working so hard to fight the fire, those who have lost their homes or are evacuated, and those who are running evacuation efforts. Let's pray for them all!

No comments: